Sunday 12 October 2008

Best live bands are from Glasgow

Most of my favourite band to watch Live have came from Glasgow. Well at least those band seem to be the ones that stick in my head. For example I'll never get tired of watching Gay vs You rolling about the ground in ridiculous home made costumes playing noisy pop. I think it's because they always involve the crowd in their performances. At a one show I actually sang most of a song as Joe and Lachlan rolled about the ground screaming. I know alot of people that have said they actually prefer the live show to their records.

Here's a video of the guys in action.



We went to see Weeliz play in the Halt Bar on Friday night for free and I think they might have topped gay vs you in the live show league. I don't really want to try describe their sound, you should just click the weenliz link above to hear them. For starters their drummer was wearing a black mask that he couldn't see out of and sparkly sequin dress. I think he was also chained up. The bassist was wearing a dress and was pounding some toy drill sort of thing when he wasn't playing his guitar. Kenny the guitarist was thrashing at his guitar strings with a butchers knife and drilling holes in it. He even let people in the crowd have a shot of the drill. The girl in the band was wearing a lovely dress and screaming down the microphone like I've never heard before. William, played about with a sampler and rolled about the groud chanting and knocking over pints. Every one in the crowd piled on top of him a number of times. I got covered in beer and kicked in the face. He was flying all over the place literally. At one point I seen him in the corner of my eye fly by me and nearly knock over a table full of drinks. All through the show there was a strobe light flashing like mad that could easily have given someone a fit. At the end of the show someone thought they were Kurt Covain and smashed Kennys guitar into pieces.

I came out just thinking wow that was amazing and I didn't even have to spend any money. I can't even find any videos of them anywhere on the net.

Props to Tayside Mental Helath too. They played before Weenliz and put on an awesome show.

The next Weenliz show is on October 14th at the Ivy bar. Everyone should come along it's a Cry parrot night and it's only 4 quid.

No comments: